Need a Medical Clearance
Before Your Hair Transplant?
Sometimes you will need a medical clearance from your primary care physician before you can have your hair transplant surgery. Why? Even though the procedure is done under local anesthetic, there are still significant health considerations.
If you have any of the following, we will require that you have medical clearance prior to hair transplant surgery. Note: by "uncontrolled" we mean that you are not under a doctor's care, or that you are not carefully following the lifestyle, nutritional, and prescription medication guidelines laid out by your doctor.
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Prior heart attack
- Stent(s) inserted into circulatory system
- Abnormal EKG
- Heart abnormalities
- Kidney problems or disorders
If you are over 60 years old we always like to get an EKG before your surgery, just to be safe. The reason is that we are using epinephrine with lidocaine and it can cause heart palpitations./p>
A medical clearance is usually signed off by the attending physician who regularly sees you. If you were seen by your doctor within the last few months then the clearance can be faxed to our office. It is a precaution that is necessary even though the procedure is done while the patient is fully awake and most of the time the patient drives himself/herself..
If you do not have a doctor we can always call several doctors in the area and they can approve clearance, sometimes only 24 hours in advance of the procedure. If you are from out if town and would like a procedure but have underlying medical problems and would like to know if you need clearance just call our office and Dr. Shapiro will review your records and let you know the best course of action.
Return to Articles Index
More Before Hair Loss Surgery Articles
- Hair Transplants & Aspirin
- Rosacea & Hair Transplant Surgery
- Sunburn & Hair Transplant Surgery
- Caffeine Before Hair Transplant Surgery?
- Blood Thinners and Vitamins Before Hair Transplant
- Timing of Hair Coloring & Hair Transplants
- Why We Want You to Eat Before Surgery
- Do You Need a Medical Clearance Before Your Hair Transplant?
- Hair Color Considerations in Hair Transplants
- How It Works
- Also see related FAQ
Free consultation available online.
Please email us your pictures & Dr Shapiro will review them & give you a price.