How soon can I go swimming
after my hair loss surgery?
Many patients ask, "how soon can I go swimming after my hair loss transplant?"
Hair transplants are like any other skin closure. As a specialist in dermatology, Dr. Lawrence Shapiro understands proper healing techniques and how to insure that the recipient and donor areas heal without infection.
Swimming after a hair transplant poses several problems.
- First is the issue of swimming in a chlorinated pool. Chlorine can kill grafts and we don't recommend swimming in a pool until the scabs have healed.
- Second is whether you want to swim in the ocean. There have been old-time hair doctors who alway a encouraged their patients to take a dip thinking the salty water was good for healing.
The only problem with this is that the ocean is not always clean like the olden days and could cause an infection. So we like to stay on the side of caution and we tell patients that the minute the scabs have fallen off your head you can resume swimming. We do occasionally get a professional scuba diver in and we recommend that they wear appropriate diver gear and head wrap if they want to go in a few days sooner.
Return to Articles Index
More After Hair Loss Surgery Articles
- Traveling After Hair Transplant
- Avoiding Infection after Hair Transplant Surgery
- Skin Healing Process after Surgery
- Working Out After My Hair Transplant
- Swimming after Hair Loss Surgery
- Natural Scabbing After Hair Transplant Surgery
- Washing Your Hair After a Hair Transplant
- Pain After Hair Loss Surgery
Free consultation available online.
Please email us your pictures & Dr Shapiro will review them & give you a price.