Women's Hair Loss
Causes of Hair Loss in Women
Causes of hair loss in women can be caused by many factors. A number of "non-androgenic" factors may be responsible for hair loss in women. Women's hair seems to be particularly sensitive to underlying medical conditions. Since "systemic" problems often cause a diffuse type of hair loss pattern that can be confused with genetic balding, it is important that women with undiagnosed hair loss, especially of the diffuse or "un-patterned" type, be properly evaluated.
Among the many medical conditions that can cause hair loss in women, the most common ones are:
- thyroid disease
- other endocrine problems (especially those that produce excess sex hormones, also known as androgens)
- gynecological conditions, such as irregular menstrual cycles
- connective tissue disease (such as Lupus)
- surgical procedures and general anesthesia
- rapid weight loss or crash diets that are not nutritionally balanced
- severe emotional stress
It is also important to review the use of medications that can cause hair loss. The more common ones are:
- oral contraceptives
- thyroid medication
- blood pressure medication (such as beta-blockers or water pills)
- "mood" medication such as lithium, Prozac, or tri-cyclic antidepressants
- blood thinners such as heparin or coumadin
- cholesterol lowering medication
- medication for gout
- anti-inflammatory drugs such as cortisone
- vitamin A or tryptophan in high doses
- street drugs (such as cocaine)
There are many other miscellaneous factors; here are a few common concerns.
- Why the Standard American Diet can Promote Hair Loss
- Do Soy Products Contribute to Hair Loss?
- How Poor Blood Circulation Contributes to Hair Loss
For more information on lifestyle factors that accelerate hair loss such as plastic srgery,styling treatments, growth hormone, crash diets, work out products and whey protein isolate -- and what to do about it:
TAKE BACK CONTROL OF YOUR HAIR LOSS TODAY!
Fight Hair Loss and Win!
- Causes of woman's hair loss
- Determining the cause of women's hair loss
- Solutions for woman's hair loss
- Differences between female & male hair loss
- Severe woman's hair loss before & after photos - using the AFR™ program.
- More before & after woman's hair transplant
- Video: Woman's Hair Loss